Nike has been a frontrunner in the fitness industry for decades. Shoes, apparel, watches, even uniforms for pro and college teams. Recently, they’ve become involved in the fitness band rave with the Nike Fuelband. The Fuelband counts calories, time, and has “Fuelpoints” that communities can compete with. Apple– the frontfunner of the computer, smartphone and tablet industry has just dipped its toes into the fitness industry. Until now. Rumors are flying that Apple and Nike are teaming up.
I couldn’t be more excited to write this article. As rumor would have it, Nike and Apple are teaming up to release a fitness band this fall according to CNN. It recently came out that Nike laid off most of its employees manufacturing Fuelbands. And Fuelbands are nowhere to be seen in stores anymore. Nike has stopped making them indefinitely. Huge tip off to something much better coming.
According to CNN, “Nike spokesman KeJuan Williams emphasized the company’s continuing work on digital products, including partnerships with companies like Apple. Partnering with industry-leading tech companies is nothing new for Nike. We have been working with Apple to develop products since 2006, when the two companies introduced Nike+ Running, and Nike has since create Apps for the iOS including Nike+ Training Club, Nike+ FuelBand and Nike+ Move which launched in Fall 2013. Building on these successful products and services, Nike and Apple are partnering on emerging technologies to create better solutions for athletes.”
Right now, it’s all rumors. But Apple’s Tim Cook has been sporting the Fuelband at public events recently, just another clue in this puzzle. Also consider this:
1. Apple’s iOS system is the only system that suppose Nike apps and programs.
2. Cook has set on Nike’s Board of Directors for the past nine years
3. In September, Apple hired the brains behind the Nike Fuelband, Ben Shaffer
4. Apple is the only big brand company to NOT enter the fitness band revolution–ei they are waiting until everyone else works out all the bugs and to see what people like vs dislike about other bands… then they will outdo everything out there by far
5. Apple has made a habit out of introducing a new iPhone every fall. It would make sense to unveil a new product that works seamlessly with the new iPhone to bring you health stats
What are the specs of the new fitness band? The thoughts on this are limitless. Heart rate, distance, calories, food trackers, etc. My guess is this fitness band will have it all.
Because after all, two of the largest and most innovative companies don’t come together to just make another product, they come together to change the future.